The Catholic aid agency CAFOD has produced a set of useful factsheets on a range of development issues. These are great for research, homework or a brief overview of some major themes in global development. They are suitable for ages 11 to 16+. Topics are as follows:
- Poverty – some of the statistics and stories behind extreme poverty.
- Sustainable Development Goals – these replaced the Millennium Development Goals in 2015, and we all need to know about them.
- Trade – trade gives Multinational Corporations the ability to influence government policy, and great power over the lives of their employees.
- Aid – money donated by governments and charities to other countries in times of need. Responsible aid aims to help people out of poverty through education and training.
- Emergencies – resulting from human actions or natural disasters, but in either case the speed and nature of the international response is crucial.
- Health – we are continually faced with new and complex world health issues, and people living in extreme poverty often miss out on adequate health care.
- HIV and AIDS – there have been huge medical advances in the treatment of HIV, but still not everyone has access.
- Climate change – statistics, facts and thoughts to ponder on the impacts of climate change in the developing world.
- PDF (free)
- Download from CAFOD website:
- Visit website
Leave a comment