The West India Regiment project from the British Library explores how British-armed people of African descent served within the wider British army in the 18th and 19th centuries.
This pack provides a range of suggested activities to support teachers in using materials from the West India Regiment project website with students of History at Key Stage 3 (ages 11-14). Subjects explored include colonial history, empire, the slave trade, and military history. Each themed section begins with suggested introductory reading in the form of short articles from the website, followed by close analysis of digitised primary sources.
Key topics covered:
- Background to the West India Regiments
- Creating the West Indian Regiments
- Racial debates
- Life of a soldier
- 1902 Dominica mutiny
- Internal policing (defending British rule)
- Anglo-Ashanti War, 1873–74
- Changing image of the West India Regiments.
Leave a comment