This resource from the Understanding Slavery Initiative provides teachers with hints and tips on approaches to teaching and learning about transatlantic slavery.
Engaging with the history and legacies of the transatlantic slave trade may be more challenging than other subjects. This little book has insights from teaching and museum professionals and suggests a ‘code of practice’ towards increasing understanding of this aspect of our history.
Issues covered include:
- use of language
- addressing misconceptions and sensitive issues
- teaching and learning approaches for different audiences
- working with collections
- artistic interpretation
- connections with contemporary global and social issues
- expertise and training; evaluation, and
- a short glossary of terms.
It is a really useful source of guidance and advice for anyone planning to teach about this subject.
PublisherUnderstanding Slavery Initiative
- PDF (free)
- Visit website
- No. of pages: 44
Leave a comment