The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement works to minimise the harmful effects of conflict by raising awareness of international laws governing what is and is not allowed in armed conflict. The Red Cross’ conflict resources explore the protections in place for those in conflict zones and the impact conflict has had on the lives of those affected.
What is and isn’t legal during armed conflict? What are the Geneva Conventions? Introduce young people to the principles of international humanitarian law or the ‘rules of war’. Explore what they are, why we have them and their importance in armed conflict. Create a series of thought-provoking sessions with our animated film and dilemma-based scenarios.
Through these resources young people will:
- Develop a basic understanding of why we have rules of war and what they are;
- Explore moral and intellectual dilemmas associated with armed conflict;
- Understand Red Cross’ Fundamental Principles, including humanity, neutrality and impartiality;
- Explore what is acceptable and unacceptable (legal and illegal) during armed conflict; and
- Be able to articulate their thoughts about the importance of International Humanitarian Law.
- Website (free)
- Visit website
Leave a comment