Did You Know? 3
This pack features ten illustrated biographies of successful, inspirational Black and Asian footballers, past and present. Twelve year old Naz is your time-travelling guide to courageous characters who have been at the forefront and the sharp end of the beautiful game since it began.The Pack features biographies of the following footballers:
- Arthur Wharton - first black footballer in England and all-round sportsman
- Walter Tull - WWI hero and footballer who played for Tottenham Hotspur
- John Barnes - Liverpool and Premiership footballer who played for England 78 times
- Hope Powell - first black and first female manager of the England women's football team
- Paul Ince - Premiership footballer who played for England 53 times
- Didier Drogba - born in the Ivory Coast and played for Chelsea
- Rachel Yankey - most capped and first professional player in English women's football
- Zesh Rehman - rirst South Asian to play in the English premier League
- Alhassan Bangura - from Sierra Leone and voted Young Player of the Year while at Watford
- Fabrice Muamba - Premier League football player and Under-19 England player.
The biographies cover each person’s achievements and the challenges they faced in simple and accessible language. The text also contains questions throughout for pupils to discuss. Each person has a life-like illustration next to their biography and a separate flash card to introduce him or her to pupils.
Teachers' notes suggest activities on how to introduce pupils to each character, follow-up activities and homework ideas. Each pack also includes posters and a CD ROM containing PDF versions of the book, posters, lesson plans and web links.
These are excellent resources to introduce students to many positive Black and Asian role models.
BookNumber of pages: 33
Pack includes 16 x books including teachers' notes plus a poster pack of 10 x A4 colour posters and a CD-ROM.